How to set compatibility mode from the command line in wine?

I am always deleting the wine dir, and i'd like to keep a few applications elsewhere.

One of these apps (interstate '76) needs compatibility mode window 98.

Anyway, if a solution also works on windows, wonderful (though the solutions i've seen required installation of something, and that's no good for me since i want the game portable), but if it only works one wine, that is ok.