Re: For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 07:34 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
> This has got to be a Linux issue.  I use a Passport drive on my Mac
> without issue.

I use a vanilla Formac USB drive (2.5", 120GB) and an old WD (3.5",
120GB) for backups. I reformatted both as single ext3 partitions to get
round the annoying FAT-32 4GB limit on individual file sizes. The WD is
used for compressed daily overnight backups which started to fail as
soon as a compressed backup hit 4GB, which is when *it* got reformatted.
I didn't mess round with the Formac. It got reformatted as soon as I
plugged it in for the first time. The Formac is used for weekly offline
backup via rsync and is fast (8-12 mins per backed up computer).

Both 'just work' and, because I'm not using vfat, the file permissions
don't get messed up and the file ownership isn't lost.

Martin