Diablo 2 LOD not patching or playable

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and using wine 1.1.42 via playonlinux. I have tried installing Diablo 2 LOD straight from the cds several times now and each time it would not let me auto patch so I figured I would try to play it unpatched and when I try to it freezes between the blizzard north and main screen...if I alt tab a few times it will eventually show the main screen but I can't click on anything. It shows the Diablo cursor but is frozen in place.... sometimes my regular mouse cursor appears but won't do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.