Re: Wine CD-ROM on Mac OS X

jdratlif wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> jdratlif wrote:
>>
>>> It doesn't seem any "native-like" cd access is possible. Is this correct?
>>>

>> Correct.  Wine does not support, yet, raw device access which is what
>> ImgBurn needs.  BTW, is there some reason that you cannot use the Disk
>> Utilities to create your disks?  One nice feature is that your burnt
>> disks will be readable by both Windows and UNIX systems (to include
>> Linux systems.)
>>

> When I switched to Linux, I tried their image burning programs. k3b and Brasero in particular. Brasero didn't work at all, and k3b had faulty verification. I lost a lot of data I thought was "backed up" because it said the disc burned correctly. I have never had these issues on ImgBurn, so I turned to Wine to use it in Linux. I really hadn't thought about changing this behavior after switching to Mac.
>
> I have not yet used Disk Utility. I am wary about other programs after my Linux experience. I think I will try it though.
>
> Thanks for the help.

You really should try using Time Machine through a DVD.  The program
does a verification of data and you can restore your system to a
particular point in time, if needed.  I use an external hard drive for
this purpose.  Until my employer basically made it illegal to have the
drive on premises, it used to be there.

James McKenzie