Re: Want to use Digital Oszilloscope DSO-2100 at parport LPT1

> ioperm() sets the *process* port access permission bits for access to
> the specified port range. So they must be passed wrapper->Wine->app to
> be any use.

Martin Gregorie not that simple wish it was.  Notice C:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe there were two exe's running not one.

>From memory winedevice is started by wineserver.   Not by main wine.   And it winedevice that requires ioperm() we are talking code modification because the rest of the code does not require it.

So if wineserver was running before you run altered permissions on wine it would fail big time.   Yet you don't want to fully grant access everywhere from wineserver or wine either.

suid is not required.   CAP_SYS_RAWIO is all that is required.  Please learn to forget it exists while on Linux Martin caps are the correct security way todo what every you would suid for.

With a bit of reworking it would be possible to make ioperm usable with wine.   Issue is that it will cost a bit of speed on applications that don't need it.