DxDiag not working - Wine 1.1.35 + Ubuntu 9.10

wine dxdiag.exe spews a few fixme messages (Related to ALSA drivers) and then exits. No Window, no error messages. Till now, this wasn't a problem (several games ran fine) but when I tried installing a legacy game (Grand Prix World by Microprose), it could not detect my graphics card. Tried DxDiag but it isnt working.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.