DirectX 7 and NHL 2001

Im trying to run my old NHL 2001 game from EA in wine 1.1.33 on arch linux. When trying to run the game, I get no errors in the terminal, but a window pops up with title "Abort Message" and content: "You do not have DirectX 7. Please install DirectX 7. Could not load "(null)"" <ok> <cancel>

I've tried to run the directx installer that comes with the cd, but it gives me the popup "DirectX does not install on current operating system."
The terminal output says
fixme:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA notification 16 params 33dc50,0

I thought DirectX 7 was supported by wine. Maybe I need to trick the game to think it is already installed?