Wine, Gnome, and filenames with spaces

Hi guys,

I've installed wine-1.1.32 and MS Office 2007 on Ubuntu 9.10 (Gnome-based desktop).

Many of our existing Windows files have spaces in the filenames. For instance, a file named "Hello World.doc". When I right-click on this file and open it in MSWord, the tool complains that it can't find the file "Hello.doc", followed by another complaint that it can't find the file "World.doc".

Rather than (a) go through the entire server and rename all of these files, and (b) (even harder) try to educate my users not to use spaces in their filenames, I thought I would first take a stab at fixing things. The best that I can figure is that this is controlled by ~/.local/share/applications/wine-*.desktop. For instance, the contents of ~/.local/share/applications/wine-extension-doc.desktop says:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Microsoft Office Word
MimeType=application/msword
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/var/lib/radix/.wine-office2007" wine start /ProgIDOpen Word.Document.8 %f
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=true

So I'm guessing the problem is that the %f is being resolved and then passed to a shell that breaks the space in the filename up into separate command line arguments, when it should be keeping it whole.

I've tried replacing %f with:
'%f'
"%f"
$(winepath -u "%f")
`winepath -u "%f"`

But none of this seemed to have any effect.

Anyone out there know a fix for this?  Or am I editing the wrong file?

Thanks,

Michael