3DFX/Glide Emulation?

I recently tried to get Micro Machines V3 working in wine but it barely runs in software mode.

I was wondering if in theory it is possible for wine to add 3DFX or Glide emulation in future? There are quite a few older games that only had 3DFX hardware acceleration that never got an update to D3D or OpenGL.