Re: World of Warcraft and Wine.

sub.mesa wrote:
SyntheticToast wrote:
My boyfriend and I have been really frustrated trying to get WoW to work on Jaunty with Wine, We think perhaps one of the biggest problems we're having is downloading the latest patches.
Normally when there are new patches they automatically update themselves, but when they go to the loading screen, it freezes and doesn't work.

I had the exact same problem, using Ubuntu 8.10/9.04 64-bit and up-to-date wine from repo. All problems disappeared after i re-installed in a clean .wine directory. Actually, moving the drive_c to a clean wine directory might be sufficient. Also make sure you start the .exe using padsp, like this:

cd /home/.clean.wine/drive_c/Games/WoW/
padsp wine Launcher.exe

That would load the launcher, which will update itself and then WoW also. Try to see if it works for you too!

When I had have problems patching WoW I would just Dload the the patch I needed from file a game site like
fileplanet.com
here is a link
http://www.fileplanet.com/100462/0/section/Patches