Language settings on wine...?

I'm trying to run a japanese .exe programme on wine but it won't display the jp characters even when I've set the locale to Japanese.
The same situation for Chinese programmes...
I've tried to place .ttf files for Japanese, Chinese and English fonts in the Fonts folder under drive_c but that wouldn't work too.

Does it have anything to do with this page which I don't understand?
http://www.winehq.org/docs/winedev-guide/adding-languages

Thanks!

Kath