Getting a proprietary Win32 application running on Wine

Hello there!

I'm trying to get a proprietary business application running.
It is basically a kind of a special small business accounting
app which can be used in a distributed manner. If it is configured
this way, the server installation is running an MSSQL server
instance locally to store the data, while a client installation
just uses the remote server installation (apparently directly
connects to the remote MSSQL instance). I'd be very happy if
I could get at least a client installation running under Wine
while running the server installation under a real Windows
environment.

The client software package installs under Wine seamlessly.
When started, it crashes with an exception until I install
Microsoft Database Engine. With MSDE installed the program
does start up but stops immediately with an error dialog
basically saying that it cannot connect to the database.
>From a quick .exe strings analysis I believe it has been
coded in Borland Delphi.

Well, it is possible that this is only some network level
issue (LMHOSTS lookup failing or whatever) but realistically
I suspect that there could be some deeper problem than that
as the program fails to create some OLE objects etc.

How do I start to make it work?

I can send a Wine debug log if somebody with a clue would
be so kind to look into it...

Thanks,

Sab