Can't Run Anything Fullscreen on Ubuntu

I'm running Wine on Ubuntu, and I can't seem to run any games fullscreen.  They give me errors about being unable to set the resolution.  I can run the games with Virtual Desktop enabled, but no matter what I set the resolution to, the window is always the same size, and the Virtual Desktop is always a tiny bit bigger than that window, so I can't see the entire game.  I've seen a few posts of other people having this problem, but they never seemed to get it solved.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm really looking forward to being able to do all my programming and work and play all my games without ever booting into Windows :)