Need assistance connecting Garmin GPS via USB in Mapsource

I am new to Linux, Ubuntu, WIne etc but despite all that I am operating in Ubuntu 8.10, with  MapSource 6.13.6  installed via Wine 1.0.1.   I know there is an issue in getting MapSource to recognize the GPS while connected via USB but I am unable to understand the steps provided to solve this issue.

I've been advised to enter "sudo modprobe garmin_gps" in terminal and to check the results.  So I connect the GPS and get a "/dev/ttyUSB0" file.  I've been advised it should be owned by root and dialup group and to change the ownership to myself.  However I don't know how to do this.  I was also told to go to ~/.wine/devices and make a soft link called com1 to /dev/ttyUSB0.   Again I don't know if this creates the soft link or if I have to do something else.  I've done a number of iterations of the above but still am unable to get MapSource to recognize my GPS device.

Any help walking me through the process would be greatly appreciated.