Gaming support with different hardware vendors (esp. ATI)

Hi all!

I recently got an ATI Radeon HD 3850 card and now noticed that with the fglrx driver many games that look well in AppDB do not run properly on this hardware (Supreme Commander ingame: flickering static garbage, Prince of Persia SoT has several issues that completely garble ingame graphics). Older games (not using shaders among other things) seem to run fine - need to do more testing though.

My guess is that AppDB is more or less nVidia-only. However, since I'm not impressed by nv politics (lacking OSS support; also they recently dropped support for my old card in their closed driver), getting a new nv card is no option.

My questions:

1. How much of the ATI trouble can be attributed to Wine, how much to the fglrx driver?- I read a lot of related discussion [1] but I'm not sure what of that trouble is resolved already.

2. Is there a chance *older* ATI cards (X800, X1950...) run better in Wine with the fglrx driver?

3. Is there a chance older ATI cards run better in Wine with the open source "radeon" driver? (that for example does not seem to support GLSL [2] for otherwise well-supported R300/R400-based cards)

I started a FAQ entry for this [3]. Any pointers with further information (bug entries...) for that FAQ are much appreciated.

Last questions: How can I help? Should I add bugzilla entries for the games not working (probably this isn't much help)? Who to contact?

Regards

[1]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.patches/49869

[2]