CLI program trying to hide characters hangs

I'm running a version of WINE from the repository post 1.1 but before 1.2. The Windows program is IBM's Tivoli command line client program DSMC.EXE. It runs fine with NT 4.0 emulation under wine provided it does not try to hide your input from the console, which it does when prompting for a password. In that case wine and DSMC.EXE between them peg the CPU (roughly a 50/50 split re which program chews up the cpu). I can successfully run DSMC.EXE under wineconsole (versus just wine) and have it easily pick up a hidden password in the program. (Once the password is set in one invocation all subsequent invocations run fine under just 'wine' because the program is picked up from the registry).

Does anyone know whether this has been fixed recently in the repository?
Or if there is a known work around?

Sincerely,
Heitzso