Diablo II not working

Everywhere I look people are just saying that Diablo II runs perfectly on wine without any problems. I installed successfully, but when I insert the play disc, my screen resolution changes and in the corner I can see one white letter with a black background that is constantly changing not apparently spelling anything. After a while this stops, and I can't do anything until I restart X.

I am using the original Diablo II with no expansion packs on fedora core 9  with wine 1.0

thanks
 -Jeff