Wine, Avid and VPN

I want to use an Avid application called iNews on my Ubuntu Studio 8.04 setup.

iNews is installed on my Windows machine and using a VPN, can connect to our system at work, and display news headines, stories, etc. No problem on Windows.

I have installed iNews through Wine 1.1.1 on the Linux and I have connected the VPN through the Linux Cisco VPN client, but when I open iNews, I get an error message saying Error Opening Search and Datagram Sockets, then I get an invalid user ID and login.

I noticed in the Wine FAQ a host name resolution test so I will try that. This has also come up on the Wine forum on Ubuntu but with no resolution. I would be interested to see if anyone has any ideas on whether or not the Avid application iNews could work on the Linux machine.

Any help gratefully appreciated. Thank you.