Re: Very strange issue

It's not that uncommon. Some Windows programs have to be started from the directory in which they're located. You didn't mention which desktop environment you use. In KDE, right click on the desktop link, select Properties, Application, and add the full unix path to the executable to the Work Path field. I don't know about Gnome, but I imagine the procedure is similar.