Re: Which Wine Download?

Ah. You should remove the old wine. Chances are, the old wine lives in /usr/ while the new wine that was built lives in /usr/local.

You don't have to remove the old wine, but if you don't you'll have to refer to wine by specific path, ie: /usr/local/bin/wine or you'll have to setup an alias in your .bashrc for wine, something like:

alias wine='/usr/local/bin/wine'

My advice is to do "apt-get remove wine" and that should solve this issue the safest way.

Try that out, let me know how it goes.

-Zac

stevecarter wrote:
Zac,

Thanks for your message and for all your skill so willingly shared.

I followed the instructions that came with the script and let the machine chug on for what seemed like ages, downloading a lot of stuff etc. and then working with it to build files etc.

When it eventually finished, I am not sure that anything is different. :(
wine --version still says it is 0.9.58 as before.

I did delete the .wine folder of the original installation before starting the script; should I have done more?

Here's hoping I have forgotten something simple.

Best regards,

Stephen Carter