Re: No C Drive

austin987 Never ever do the quoted on a Linux system

> $ sudo wineboot
> $ sudo wine foo.exe
> will work fine (need some way for users that need raw ICMP/disk
> access/etc. to work around it)

Raw ICMP and Disk access can be granted many other ways without using sudo.  Sudo grants the right to a virus in wine to take out your complete OS.

I normally stick to posix capiblities to grant them.

If you distro is old or don't have posix file capiblities in kernel.

>From http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/kernel-2.4/capfaq-0.2.txt

> How do I start a process with a limited set of capabilities under
> another uid?
>
> Use the sucap utility which changes uid from root without loosing any
> capabilities.  Normally all capabilities are cleared when changing uid
> from root.  The sucap utility requires the CAP_SETPCAP capability.
> The following example starts updated under uid updated and gid updated
> with CAP_SYS_ADMIN raised in the Effective set.
>
> sucap updated updated execcap 'cap_sys_admin=eip' update

Or if your kernel has support of file capiblies create a version of wine with a little more permissions. setfcaps -c cap_net_raw=p -e /bin/ping

There has been no reason to run wine on Linux as root since late 2.2 linux kernels and early 2.4 linux kernels.  Personally I really do wish that a bail out patch would get added to wine for all Linux systems.  Even running services there is no reason for wine to be root.