Re: Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

Bamm skrev:
One reason is needing to copy some dlls before running setup.exe,

You shouldn't have to. That's not how Wine is meant to work. Since it's unsupported and not recommended, there's no need to make it clean and workaround-free.

another is some installers need to be run from inside the prefix.

That's not at all a reason. In fact, it is my *counter*-reason exactly: just set WINEPREFIX and run the installer, no need to do an additional step. Easy as pie.

People may have their reasons why they would want to modify an environment before running a program there.

So they use winecfg or something. Big deal.

For me, the name of a command is just as important as what it does.

Well, in that case, wineboot might be perfect. Bootstraps a new Wine prefix. Powering on a computer makes it boot up, load, and usually autoconfigure the operating system, and running wineboot makes it set up and autoconfigure the simulated operating system instance.