Re: cannot install wine

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sunday 18 May 2008 02:52:40 pm Trevorofmolino wrote:
extracted wine-0.9.60 and ran ./tools/wineinstall , it configured and
compiled. then after putting in root password I getcould not find wine on
your system.run wineinstall as root to install before rerunning wineinstall
 as a user. So I enter root and root password and then i retry
./tools/wineinstall and get WINE Installer v0.75

You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as
a user. Aborting.

wine is in directory /home/trevor/.wine/wine-0.9.60. How can I finish this
or will I have to uninstall and try installing manually?

Try following it's advice. Why are you logged in as root? If you're logged in as root right now, log out right now! Log in as a normal, non-root user, then go read this.
http://www.newlinuxuser.com/explain-why-not-log-on-as-root/

Then, try again, and when you get output from software, read it.

Paul:

Your advice is admirable, but Wine should be installed as the root user to prevent program corruption. wineinstall should do this. However, wine and wineinstall should NOT be run as root.

The OP will have to deinstall wine and reinstall it in an appropriate directory, like /usr/local/wine.

James McKenzie