Re: Try wineprefixcreate to repair old .wine instead of deleting

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> This is good info Dan. Thanks.>>  I must say that as a user type I think the program name>  'wineprefixcreate' has got to be one of the worst I've run into in a>  long, long time. I suppose it has some histroy that makes sense if you>  know it but for a new user coming to Wine for the first time I can>  hardly imagine a name less descriptive! :-)>>  - Mark>>>>  On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Dan Kegel <dank@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:>  > Alexandre says we should have users try wineprefixcreate>  >  before having them blow away their old .wine directory.>  >>  >>  >  ---------- Forwarded message ---------->  >  From: Alexandre Julliard <julliard@xxxxxxxxxx>>  >  Date: Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM>  >  Subject: Re: Proposal: versioning .wine directory>  >  To: James Hawkins <truiken@xxxxxxxxx>>  >  Cc: Austin English <austinenglish@xxxxxxxxx>, wine-devel@xxxxxxxxxx,>  >  Stefan Dösinger <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Kegel <dank@xxxxxxxxx>>  >>  >>  >  "James Hawkins" <truiken@xxxxxxxxx> writes:>  >>  >   > If we have a stable wine prefix in 1.0, I don't see what could>  >   > possibly be added in 1.2 that would break that.  The idea is that,>  >   > even if you add a new dll that needs to be registered in, say, 1.0.5,>  >   > you still don't need to remove your wine prefix or reinstall any apps.>  >>  >   That should already be the case, there's nothing magical about 1.0 that>  >   would suddenly cause that to happen. And if there are cases where it>  >   doesn't work we have to fix them before 1.0 is out. I think we should>  >   stop telling people to blow away their .wine, and have them run>  >   wineprefixcreate instead.  Then if wineprefixcreate doesn't do the>  >   update correctly we need to figure out why and fix it.  Once we are>  >   confident that it can do the update safely we can have it run>  >   automatically when it detects an upgrade.>  >>  >   -->  >   Alexandre Julliard>  >   julliard@xxxxxxxxxx>  >>  >>>
It is listed in the list of commands:http://wiki.winehq.org/ListofCommands
Although, a name like wine-update may be a bit more intuitive. Howabout something in winecfg to automatically call wineprefixcreate?