Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

Paul Johnson írta:

On Sunday 23 March 2008 10:30:45 am Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
Paul Johnson írta:
.deb is really easy by comparison, aptitude does literally everything for
you instead of sending you into dependency hell looking for every RPM you
need to install the RPM you want.  RPM based distros are generally
exceedingly difficult to upgrade thanks to the poor package management.
Sorry, that's just FUD. You face the same dependency hell
if you use plain old dpkg, the rpm equivalent. Please, compare yum
with apt-get or compare yumex or pirut or whatever that does
package management presenting a GUI with aptitude if you want to be fair.

That was partly my point. There's no single comprehensive interface to RPM like there is with apt. Name one that comes close to working as well as apt (no, apt-rpm doesn't compare to regular apt, either) then you might have a point.

Sorry, are synaptic and aptitude "single comprehensive interface to DPKG"? Come on! :-) OK, enough of it, I won't continue, no need to despise each others' package managers.