Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Timeout <wineforum-user@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with you.
>
>  First the user has to install the wineprefix as user and only then the user may be able to set the security level - valid only for this wineprefix outside root.
>  If there is no wineprefix in /root, it will then not run that easily as root and winecfg in root should not work.
>  At the moment, if after "make install" I am forgetting to go outside root modus, the wineprefix is not created in /home/user but in root's own directory in /root and from there it can access anything.

Here's the current situation:
$ = user, # = root

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ wineprefixcreate
$ sudo wine notepad # fails

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ sudo wineprefixcreate
$ wine notepad # fails

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ wineprefixcreate
$ wine notepad # works

# rm -rf /root/.wine
# wineprefixcreate
# wine notepad # works

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ sudo wineprefixcreate
$ sudo wine notepad # works

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ wineprefixcreate
$ wine notepad # works

Notepad can be any app, obviously. This still allows for using root
access if needed, but prevents mixing the two, which IMHO will prevent
most of the problems.