Re: What constitutes a good backtrace?

Dan Kegel wrote:
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 For Dan - one other issue came up so I thought I'd bring it here
 before I did the new Wine build. Please keep in mind that this machine
 is a Gentoo 64-bit machine and Wine, compiled as a 32-bit app, is
 running over the top some 32-bit emulation libraries.

Not emulation libraries.  They're plain old 32 bit libraries.

Building 32 bit wine on a 64 bit system is annoying.
I wouldn't bother unless you're quite motivated.

Those libraries,
 as compiled, aren't going to provide any backtrace data. Will this
 make any difference or is all we are concerned with is how Wine is
 working internally?

No problem.  We don't need symbols there.

Why is it that people run 64 bit operating systems on their
desktops?  99% of them would be happier with 32 bit OS's.
Shrug.
- Dan

Funny, my view is the exact opposite. I first used 64 bit on a Dec Alpha in about 1993. I have been wondering ever since why anybody would want to cling to 32 bit. Recently I have been puzzled as to why anybody would want to run a 32 bit opsys on 64 bit hardware. I think they just sense a lack of commitment from Microsoft. Incidentally, I heard that Microsoft had a 64 bit version of NT (an early one 3.1 or 3.5) for the Dec Alpha but never released it. They released a 32 bit version for the Alpha - so everybody ran Tru64 unix instead. The attraction of 64 bit is address space more than large physical memory. If you are mapping large files the address space issue is significant. A windows 32 bit application can get about 1.5GB of usable address space in an application and it is not enough. I had better declare my bias; I implement an APL interpreter. A significant number of my users are bouncing off address space restrictions and are being held back because their users are constrained to use 32 bit windows as a platform.

Geoff Streeter

Geoff Streeter