Re: Wine problem with warcraft II and ubuntu

Warcraft II is a DOS-only app (that's why it has DOS4GW.exe), thus, it won't work under WINE. What works is the graphical Windows installer, but it's just a "frontend" as to say, an alternate installer, but the game is still MS-DOS.

Get DOSBox and play War2 ^_^ - BTW don't forget to make a dosbox.conf file in your home directory (it says how to in their site/docs) and in the CPU stuff change the core to dynamic so you get a -full- boost of speed using your processor fully, either it'll emulate a crappy one and you'll get BAD fps... War2 uses the VESA video mode for 640x480 so...

Good luck

On Feb 1, 2008 12:01 PM, Jan Michalowsky <sejamich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 1, 2008 5:02 PM, Man of Wax <undicizeri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I installed the latest version of wine in ubuntu gutsy from wine
> repository (wine version 0.9.54) and when i try to install warcraft II
> from cd rom i get this error:
>
> Warning: unprotecting memory to allow real-mode calls.
>  NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
>
> and nothing works.
> I have an acer travelmate 2350...
> Thank you,
> Federico :D

I guess warcraft II is using Mode 13h and due that it want to allocate
in real mode, which is not possible.
You should try to run it in dosbox or so. But that are only assumptions