Re: Can I use a static build to install on an obsolete target?

I'd probably suggest letting dpkg do the walking, "backporting" packages
in Debian is relatively easy, and is infact probably the recommended way
to use packages from Debian Unstable. Redhat likely has something similar.

> On Jan 3, 2008 3:57 PM,  <thestar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The point is that within the chroot, you can compile newer versions of
>> libraries that _do_ work with the old kernel without impacting on the
>> main
>> system.
>
> Indeed, but building a whole userland can be a real pain.
>
> My favorite tool for doing this is ptxdist, but it's not everybody's cup
> of tea.
> - Dan

-- Arafangion, The Star King of the Grape Trees.