Re: Can I use a static build to install on an obsolete target?

<snip>
> There's a slightly amusing irony in all this. I've written a large and
> very non-trivial program (but with no graphics) on Linux, dynamically
> linked. At this point I realised that I couldn't afford to support a
> dynamic app, so I produced various statically-linked versions (3
> binaries should cover almost all Windows and Linux usage). If it still
> runs on an original RH7.2, I thought, it'll run on anything. But, of
> course, I need this Windows app to test it, and it turns out that the
> Wine world-view is not quite the same as my own...

Paul, what you want is to refer to the LSB - Linux Standard Base.

It provides an alternate loader and a set of 'standard' libraries, and
aims to provide binary compatibility across various 32-bit x86 systems,
however I warn that I have yet to utilize it myself.  In any case, it
should be a very useful educational resource. :)