Re: debugging an app

Henry Gomersall wrote:

Well, I have several of these in the relay log. The following snippets
show the ones before the crash:

Ok [0009]:   ntdll.NtClose from 7b87cf8e with none.
Ok [0009]:   ntdll.NtAllocateVirtualMemory from 7b8977a7 with none.
Ok [0009]:   ntdll.RtlAddVectoredExceptionHandler from 7b8407ed with
none.

Adding exception handlers is uninteresting.

Ok [0009]:                     KERNEL32.UnhandledExceptionFilter from
7c34c456 with none.

That is the actual place where an exception was caught. I typically check what a function does by going to
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx
and plugging the function name into the search box.

Running the debugger I can get each of the above exceptions to show (by
pressing c on in the debug console). However, I still cannot work out
where to discover which function is actually giving the error. The
backtrace refers to the library xtp9601lib, which is a dll included with
the program (and the function that originates the page fault is in this
address range - at least that is my interpretation).

I presume I should be able to, in principle, find the offending function
call?

Maybe ;) It is a bit of a black art and one that I am not particularly good at. In this case, go through the relay trace prior to that UnhandledExceptionFilter call, and see if you can figure out what was happening. Or post a hundred lines or so of the relay trace prior to that call.