Re: problem with installing csi:dark motives

Daniel_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi, im all new to linux. i am running ubuntu as my windows was causing
me problems so i decided to go to linux.
but i bought csi:dark motives before this happened and now i cant play
it.
i can install it using wine but when it nears to the end of the
installation it says "run-time error '429'. ActiveX component cant't
cretae object. please can someone tell me what im doing wrong

See, there's your problem, you assume that Wine is perfect, and that all problems are user-generated and are the user's fault. Wine isn't perfect, and it doesn't do ActiveX all that well. You can try using DCOM98, which there is a guide that goes over this here:
http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/software/xap400/gware_wine.html
(Yes, the guide is also more stuff, but the DCOM98 parts apply universally)

You can also run a Google Search to see if anyone has had any problems with this game under Wine before.

Finally, you can try reading the Wine User's Guide. It is available as a PDF here: http://ftp.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/docs/wine-user.pdf

If all else fails, you can try the next version of Wine.