How to setup a joystick in Wine

I spent hours the other night trying to re-map my Logitech USB
wireless gamepad for playing games in Wine. I added registry keys all
over the place with the cryptic X,Y,Z,Rx nonsense but nothing would
seem to work. Does anyone know how to do this properly, or is it
broken? I'm trying to map the right thumbstick for looking around and
left stick for moving in Rune. I couldn't get it to work properly in
Cedega either.