Re: Installshield and Wine

Marco Trapanese wrote:

Well, I copied the program folder from a working windows installation to the
hidden wine folder. Now, the splash screen does not disappear but it hangs.
I get this in the terminal:

That generally isn't a good idea, because the installer does other things like make registry entries, that don't get done when you copy over a folder.

Looking here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2709
I see that mplab apparently works. But supposedly, "it's important that in the winecfg application menu both IE6 and MPLAB are set to Windows98".

So probably the thing to do is to go to:
http://www.tatanka.com.br/
Get ies4linux, and run it and allow it to install IE6. It will also create a new Wine directory structure, under ~/.ies4linux. It will have not affect on your current stuff under ~/.wine.

Now, if this is the only Wine application you are interested in, just permanently set the environment variable:
export WINEPREFIX="/home/marco/.ies4linux/ie6"
Of course change "marco" to whatever your home directory is. You can set this permanently in your ~/.bashrc file.

Now run the mplab installer. It should be installed into the .ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/ directory. Now try running the mplab in that directory, and with any luck, it will run.