Re: Directory names in Wine patches do not match actual dir names

Udo Kuhnt wrote:
Hello,

when I tried to apply the patches for the recent Wine versions, I
noticed that in all patches released in the last weeks, the dir names
do not match the names in the source code tar archives. So, for
example, if the source code had been unpacked into Wine-0.9.18, the
patch to upgrade it to v0.9.19 would use 'a' and 'b' instead of
'Wine-0.9.18' and 'Wine-0.9.19' as dir names.

There has been a recent shift in the last couple of months from using CVS as the primary revision control system, to using git. And apparently that is how git does things (I certainly am not with git, though). And the developers have clearly stated that in the future, all revision control will be done with git, so you might as well get used to it ;)

You don't need to rename directories. Copy a patch of that format into the top level directory of the Wine tree you want to patch, and execute:
patch -p 1 < thepatch
The "-p 1" says to ignore the leading 'a' or 'b' or whatever.