documentation for beginners ?`

Is there any documentation that instructs a beginner how to configure (and the logic behind) wine and the steps necessary to install windows software? I have the user's guide but it does lack much, particularly what is going on.

I am using ubuntu 6.06 and have presumably installed wine correctly. However, I cannot configure the system. A typical error message is, upon invoking winecfg, is:
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/rfell', star ting in the Windows directory.

Any help is more than appreciated.
Thanks,
Dick Fell

Richard N. Fell