Re: Virtual Pool Hall installation help needed - update

Fretzel wrote:
Darren Wilkinson wrote:
Fretzel wrote:
Here is the location to download this game.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/BGAudio/VPHDownload.htm

Problem is the included vph.reg file which modifies the registry to disable CD check on a real Windows installation will not work on Wine's fake drive_c Windows installation.

I know this works in real Windows because I have tried it myself.

If anyone can find a way to make this work I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

The easiest thing would probably be to open the vph.reg file in openoffice or something similar and use wines own regedit to put them in by hand.

Just remember not to type in the quotation marks.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately getting this info into the registry is not where the problem lies. There is something odd about the way the game expects hard drive C: and Windows to be to be physically located in the machine... and Wine's fake drive_c drive just doesn't work. I have only been able to get this game and its registry hack to work on computers with Windows installed on the boot drive. I have not been able to get it to work if anything about the location of Windows is changed... e.g. I have tried on computers where the Windows OS and C: drive is installed on a different physical drive to the boot drive. And also on an intel iMac with a bootcamp Windows installation. Neither of these situations work. It will only work with Windows installed to a single physical drive C:. I was hoping someone would be able to work out why the game behaves this way and maybe suggest a different registry key modification which would get around this problem and allow the game to run without CD check.

Thanks to help from Killertux_ in IRC. We have discovered that the game will get past the CD missing error if the game directory and contents is copied to E: drive (drive_e directory). But now the game is crashing with some D3D and X11 display errors.
Here is what I get in terminal from "wine VPhall.exe"

fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMem (0x184130) : stub, simulating 64MB for now, returning 64MB left fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x172470)->(0x20024,00000013) err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (NoRes) fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateAdditionalSwapChain The app requests more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if possible err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (NoRes) err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState Multisample antialiasing not supported by gl err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (NoRes) fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateAdditionalSwapChain The app requests more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if possible err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (NoRes) err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState Multisample antialiasing not supported by gl
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x172470)->((nil),00000008)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DStateBlockImpl_Release Releasing primary stateblock

Then the game just exits and returns me to the terminal window. What do I do now?