Re: Problems with Steam (counter-strike)

Jc wrote:

What's wineboot? First time I hear about it.

Wineboot is a program that simulates a windows startup (...)

Thank you. I'll google for wineboot.

I just added winehq repository to synaptic and downloaded 0.9.20 from
there (after having fully removed previous version of wine) and ran
SteamInstall.exe. Once the install is finished, Steam is unable to
update itself (the updating... windows appears, but stays so, without
any counter). When I quit it with Ctrl-C and then launch steam.exe, it
updates itself correctly and I get usual Steam login window, but without
any text on it. Just the green thingy.

The lack of text is probably the easiest problem to fix. You need to
get fonts! Yes, by default wine has no fonts to use! I just downloaded
a Tahoma.ttf and placed it in drive_c\windows\fonts. Use this search to
find a font!

That's surrealistic! Why didn't I notice any message telling that I should get the font separately? Anyway, now that I installed it (in
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts) things are a lot better: it works ! :)

Installation was a bit strange, and right now, although I installed MozillaControl1712-ReactOS.exe, I don't see the browsed content. The main steam window can't be minimized (freezes everything) so I close it or use directly the cs shorcut, and BTW I have what I wanted: frags !

All that with the 0.9.21 wine package from winehq repository and with the default video card driver (didn't need to download anything from ATI). Although I don't think it is necessary I also installed the libwine dummy package.

I suspect you might also have problems when you start up the game for
the first time. I right clicked on the game in STEAM and chose launch
properties and used the settings i found online to set up the game for
my pc (resolution, windowed, direct x level).

Hope this helps.

Sure it helps, I'm having my first head shots under GNU/Linux. Thanks a lot :)