Re: How come wine doesn't improve?

Tony Pursell wrote:
On 17 Jun 2006 at 15:25, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

Even though wine versions get released often and the weekly
newsletters seem to report progress I get the impression that wine is
not really improving. Of course it happens that some applications work
with newer wine versions which didn't work with older ones, but at the
same time old applications stop working. Is it only me that gets the
impression that wine only changes over time, but doesn't improve?

I get the same impression, but I have to realise that I have my own agenda - i.e I want to get a few Windows apps working reliably in Wine on a long term basis so I can migrate to Linux completely. My 'killer' apps are MS Money 2004 (which currently is broken) and a UK tax calculation package (which I have only just started to look at under Wine). However, I get the impression that games get a lot more attention and excite the devlopers more than my boring business apps. I can't complain. Except for the contributions of Codeweavers, all the developers are volunteers and we cannot (must not) make them feel obliged to sort out our specific problems.
Tony

It is the stated philosophy of the wine team that the goal of wine is accuracy, not to run more apps.

So, eventually wine will run 100% accurate and exactly 0 apps.

:)