I have got some questions involving Direct X

Ok, I have been trying to get Direct 3D to work so I can play my games
finaly. After adding several obscene messages to the thing that
determines what version of D3D it supports, I have learned it only will
let me use version 6; Is there any way around this? It would appear I do
not have the "Extensions" required for OpenGL. I am using Gentoo Linux
version linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r6

Now for the million dollar question, how do I get wine to support D3d9?
I am about ready to hack it in to make it think I support 9 just to see
what happens. I am going into withdrawal from my games, and would hate
to have to crawl back to windows for a few games!

Thanks for any help,
 Giles Cameron