Re: Problem running Windows Notepad under Wine

Bob Unitt wrote:
Gentlefolk,

I need to give someone the ability to create Windows-format text
documents, which I can then copy (via SMB) to a W2000 machine for
further processing. I've got the file-sharing up and running, and Wine
installed and running Windows Notepad OK, but I've hit a snag trying to
set it up to load Notepad automatically when the file-icon is clicked :-

That's something that has nothing to do with Wine, actually. Since you're using Ubuntu, you are probably using the GNOME desktop. Sorry, but I don't know much about GNOME. I suggest you use the gnome-mime-editor program and look for something liek application/x-plaintext or the like, and change the association to "wine notepad %" or similar, replacing the "%" with whatever meta-charater that the database uses to put the filename in the commandline for the program.

Also, You can use 'vim' to make text documents with DOS line endings, that is, CR-LF (which is exactly what Windows uses).

To do so, when editing your file in Vim (or gVim), or even if you want to convert a old file, use the following command: ":se ff=dos" (woithout the quotes). Then save as normal (":w").

There are also other programs, such as dos2unix which can convert UNIX text files to MS-DOS/Windows format.