Re: winetools and ie6

On 11/10/06, Alan McKinnon <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:20, Bry Melvin wrote:
> Guess I'll probably get flamed now, but my software testing has put
> wine+winetools as more functional than wine or Crossover. At least
> from a point of view of someone wanting to do Graphics production and
> migrating from Win or OS/2 to Linux (and work predominately from a
> GUI).

Ah, you have specific needs. That changes everything.

Who doesn't have specific needs? :)

The wine/winetools debate has been going on for ages. Here's the
summary:

Wine is a project still in alpha. The devs want people to use wine
itself and figure out where the bugs are. Winetools and even ies4linux
are stop-gap measures to get around areas where wine is still not fully
functional. The devs also want to receive traffic on how wine
works/doesn't work, they don't want to have to handle traffic on
winetools and the stuff it does. Winetools and ies4linus don't do
anything unusual that the wine devs need to investigate - all they do
is register heaps of native overrides where a wine lib is replaced by a
real windows one nicked off a windows machine. Wine devs giving support
on this list to winetools users is coutner-productive to the devs time
as they (mostly) don't get paid for what they do. The goal is to get
all Win32 functions correctly implemented in wine, not concentrate on
the stop-gap measures.

That's the price of alpha, beta, and rc software. Fair, in my opinion.
I was unsubscribed to the list for a few months, so I missed this
debate, but it sounds fair.

So your readers are regular users. For them to get IE running *right now
today*, they will get best results from Crossover or ies4linux. To get
Office running, Crossover is easily the better solution. winetools may
suit them better for other well known apps. In any event, they won't
find much support for any of those solution on this list (whose purpose
is to get wine itself debugged and working better).

Reality check: Someday wine on it's own will be sufficient for Regular
User Joe, but that day hasn't arrived yet.

Hope this help clear up things a bit

alan

I'd just like to add that purchasing Crossover _does_ in fact help
wine development, as Crossover is a main developer of wine and their
improvments go right back into wine.

Dotan Cohen

http://kubuntufaq.com
http://fedorafaqs.com