Re: Re: wine segfaulting

Pavel Troller wrote:
Hi Christoph!
Hi Pavel,

  Simple apps, like winecfg and notepad, run well. Other ones don't. For
some of them, wine dumps a lot of warnings before the segfault, but exactly
the same warnings are emitted on another machines, where the app runs well.
When the app fails, it even doesn't start to render its window. However, when
a virtual desktop is to be used, it appears but it's still empty in the
moment of the fault.
Maybe there are old files from a previous installation of wine in this
box laying around? Try to remove first all the wine related files first
and then copy over your binary files again.

Thanks for your valuable hint, but it's not the case here. My wine package is
strictly isolated at /opt/wine and except user's .wine directory, there are no
other wine's files on the system. And because I'm installing new versions by
cd /opt ; rm -r wine ; tar xIvf wine.tar.bz2 , I think that it's safe to say
that no old file can survive this :-).
Since my first post, I did a full wine build on the subjected machine; however,
the resulting binary crashes exactly the same way as the imported binary
package, which I think proved that the problem is not caused by some binary
incompatibility between the build and running system.
             With regards, Pavel Troller

I had trouble with installing a program called WebEngine on 0.9.22, it turned out I needed to rm or mv my .wine directory to .wine.old, something I have not done since wine 0.9.10. I ran winecfg which created a new .wine and now webengine installs correctly. This may be worth trying, it's not always the binaries in /opt that could be the problem.
Regards, Nick