re: newbie tries to call windows dll function

You need to give a little more background.
What does the DLL do?  What program are you trying to call it from?

The easiest thing would be to write a Windows app that
uses the DLL.
The next easiest thing would be to write a Winelib app that
uses the DLL.
You can't write a plain old Linux app that uses the DLL,
at least not easily.  (This is something we'd like to support
but haven't gotten around to.  And even after we support it,
it's going to be a bit odd.)
- Dan