Re: How to run japanese app with wine

Kazuki Yatsuga wrote:
    Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:27:00 +0000 (UTC)
    From: Daniel Skorka < skorka@xxxxxxx <mailto:skorka@xxxxxxx>>
    Subject: Re:  How to run japanese app with wine
    To: wine-users@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wine-users@xxxxxxxxxx>
    <mailto:e9igi4$2tf$3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Kazuki Yatsuga < hartzzenen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:hartzzenen@xxxxxxxxx>>
    wrote:
     > I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I've searched a
    lot about it
     > and couldn't find an answer so here it goes: How can I run japanese
     > applications with wine? I've tried editing the Fonts section in
    .wine/config
     > to use japanese fonts (like jis and watanabe) but the
    applications only
     > display weird characters in place of the japanese chars. What do
    I have to
     > do so the applications will display correctly japanese text?
    Thanks for your
     > help!

    Since noone seems to know anything certain, I'll give what little advice
    I have:
    Try setting up the locale (man locale) for japanese. Make sure this
    locale is available on your system (exact method depends on
    distribution). If that doesn't help I'd guess wine isn't quite ready for
    that yet.

    Daniel

Thanks a lot Daniel for your advice! It worked!! Just set up the locale for japanese and wine will display japanese text perfectly. ;)

On distributions other than your current one, which don't have a easy configureation system, you can configure Wine to display Japanese by using the LC_ALL enviroment variable. In the United States, set it to ja_US, and in Japan, set it to ja_JP. The reason for the localion difference is because programs compensate for the different dialects of a language across different nations (think en_US and en_GB, one for the US and one for England.)