No config file

I am using Wine 0.9.15 to run a newsreader called Xnews. I have found several sites with Wine configurations for Xnews, but all of the sites I've found refer to modifying the "$HOME/.wine/config" file. The version of Wine I am using doesn't use a config file - it uses system.reg and user.reg. Can I use the modifications from the older config files to make changes to the *.reg files and if so, how? And which file (system.reg or user.reg) do I change? Thanks.

Ruben