Re: How come wine doesn't improve?

On 17 Jun 2006 at 15:25, Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:

> Even though wine versions get released often and the weekly
> newsletters seem to report progress I get the impression that wine is
> not really improving. Of course it happens that some applications work
> with newer wine versions which didn't work with older ones, but at the
> same time old applications stop working. Is it only me that gets the
> impression that wine only changes over time, but doesn't improve?

I get the same impression, but I have to realise that I have my own
agenda - i.e I want to get a few Windows apps working reliably in Wine
on a long term basis so I can migrate to Linux completely.  My 'killer'
apps are MS Money 2004 (which currently is broken) and a UK tax
calculation package (which I have only just started to look at under
Wine).

However, I get the impression that games get a lot more attention and
excite the devlopers more than my boring business apps.  I can't
complain.  Except for the contributions of Codeweavers, all the
developers are volunteers and we cannot (must not) make them feel
obliged to sort out our specific problems.

Tony