Re: Fedora Core 4 system lockup with wine 200506.. - 0.9.1

Rein Klazes wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:39:42 -0500, in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
you wrote:
-- cut

Stop all wine processes;
edit your ~/.wine/system.reg and look for something like:
[Software\\Wine\\Config\\Winmm] 1101586916
"Drivers"="wineoss.drv"

Try changing "wineoss" to "winealsa", something else or even to "none".

Rein
-- cut

I did not see an entry for Software\\Wine\\Config\\Winmm. I did a grep -i Winmm of the system.reg file and I did not find anything. I tried running winecfg but of course my system just locks up :).

Just add the two line snippet that I quoted to the end of the
system.reg. The idea is that wine will take the default driver
wineoss.drv if there is no such section. If that driver is causing
crashes or worse, some manual intervention is needed.

Rein.
I have a feeling you are on the right track. I will be able to test this out Monday when at work. The vortex2 card was never supported by default with OSS under Fedora Core 3 so I have a feeling that it is only supported in FC4 through the alsa OSS emulation. With FC3 I had to compile the driver from sourceforge for OSS because alsa was not shipped with FC3. With Fedora Core 4 the vortex2 card is supported using alsa so I never bothered installing the OSS driver. Maybe the OSS emalation for the vortex2 is not quite up to snuff and the newer wine code triggers the driver bug. OSS emulation using alsa for other apps works fine though. The sound card is the only thing that is questionable as far as drivers go I think.

Thanks for all the information.  I have a feeling the info above will work.