File sharing difficulty

I'm running an application that does file sharing via an
SMB mounted filesystem.

Running under MS Windows everything works as expected with 4
workstations sharing the data from a server.

Running MS Windows under vmware and win4lin works fine too.

Running under wine 0.9 the application is locked out from
the file if any other workstation has the file "open".

If I close all the other clients down, the app via wine 0.9
works fine.

In the failure mode, when the application starts it hangs for about 10
seconds and then reports something like:

    file is already open on this system or is read-only

With wine I am using smbmount, which is not the case with MS Windows,
win4lin, and vmware.  So there could be a problem there.

--
Brian Litzinger