New to Wine

I am new to Wine and recently tried to get an application to run under Wine. I was able to get the application to work by copying a working Program Files folder to the .wine directory. There were two (really 3) problems.

1) Install Shield failed to work, I gather this is a common problem
2) The App uses a Rainbow Technologies hardware lock.
3) Install Shield for the hardware lock drivers failed.

My question is there any resource which can assist resolving the Install Shield issues and getting the hardware lock to work?
--
Rob Steinmetz